Protecting innovation and intellectual property in an increasingly connected and digital world is one of the significant challenges of today's enterprises.
At Machado Meyer, we provide advice to domestic and foreign clients in transactions involving trademarks, patents, copyrights, software, know-how, and other intellectual property. In addition, we represent companies before the National Institute of Industrial Property (INPI) and the National Cinema Agency (ANCINE), as well as in related judicial and administrative proceedings.
We assist in the structuring, drafting, and negotiation of licensing agreements, assignment of rights, franchising, sponsorship, transfer of know-how and technology, software development, and co-production, among other forms of intellectual property-related transactions.
Our extensive knowledge of television markets, cinema, telecommunications, advertising, and technology, coupled with the expertise of the firm in areas such as corporate, tax, and labor law, gives clients operating in these sectors the convenience of having integrated advice that meets all their needs in the legal sphere.
Our services focus on three major areas:
Entertainment and communications
We are experts in regulatory affairs related to pay-TV, such as registration of channels and local content requirements, among other issues. Our services also involve:
- Guidelines on the use of cultural incentives in audiovisual production projects, literature, exhibitions, music festivals, etc.
- Assistance in the preparation of production contracts, distribution and exhibition of content for television, film, and the internet, and development and licensing of television formats.
- Structuring, negotiation, and execution of content licensing agreements for television producers.
- Advice on content distribution agreements via the internet (IP).
Our team evaluates all intellectual property issues related to franchise projects and ensures compliance with the legal requirements for the company's operation in Brazil. We practice in the following areas:
- Negotiation, drafting, and execution of standard contracts between franchisor and franchisee.
- Guidance on tax issues and business structure to ensure efficiency and compliance with the law.
- Legal advice to franchisees and franchisors in the course of their relationship.
Our day-to-day work puts us in constant contact with regulatory, contract, and tax issues that move this industry. Your company can rely on cutting-edge advice and in-depth knowledge of traditional markets, technology, and the internet. We understand and anticipate problems that may arise during the execution of a project and suggest solutions to prevent negative impacts on the business.
We support our customers in processes related to:
- Software development and licensing
- Systems supply
- IT outsourcing
- Provision of services [Service rendering] for e-commerce
- Contracts for electronic games, mobile applications, and legal advice related to social media
- Advice on lawsuits involving copyright and software
We regard intellectual property as a strategic aspect of our clients' business and provide them with a qualified and experienced team of professionals to help them manage their assets securely and efficiently.