José Virgílio co-heads the practice with José Prado. He is a leading lawyer in project finance, M&A and PPPs in regulated sectors such as transport, oil & gas, power, sanitation, urban and social infrastructure.
- Brazilian Bar Association (OAB)
- New York Bar
- International Bar Association (IBA)
- São Paulo Lawyers Association (AASP)
- President of IBRADEMP Since March 2015 Brazilian Institute for Energy Law (IBDE)
- Private Equity Association of Brazil (ABVCAP)
- Recommended by Latin Lawyer 250, 2021 edition, in the areas of Project Finance and Infrastructure, Corporate and M&A, Administrative Law, and Energy.
- Recognized by Who's Who Legal's "WWL: Energy 2021" guide as "recommended" in the national category.
- Recognized by the IFLR1000 guide, 2021 edition, in Capital Markets, M&A, Project Finance, Banking, and Project Development, as "Highly regarded".
- Recognized by Leaders League, 2020 and 2021 editions, in Oil & Gas, Power Law and Public Law.
- Recognized by Who's Who Legal, Thought Leaders Brazil 2021 edition, in Project Finance.
- Ranked in Chambers Global, 2020 and 2021 editions, in Projects.
- Recognized as Leading Individuals by The Legal 500, 2021 edition, recommended in Projects and Infrastructure, Public law and Energy and natural resources (Electricity and Hydrocarbons).
- Ranked by Chambers Latin America 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021, in Projects. In the 2016, 2017 and 2018 editions, he was recognized in Public Law. In 2019, in Energy and Natural Resources (Electric Power).
- Ranked among the best lawyers in Brazil by Análise Advocacia 500, 2020 edition, in the area of Business Contracts and the Electricity sector.
- Recognized by Latin Lawyer National, 2020 edition, in Administrative Law, Corporate and M&A, Energy, Maritime and Project finance & infrastructure.
- Recognized by Who's Who Legal 2020 in Banking, Project Finance and Energy.
- Ranked by Chambers Global, 2017 and 2018 edition, in Energy and Natural Resources (Power) and Projects.
- Recognized by Legal 500, 2017 edition, leading lawyer in Projects and Infrastructure and Public law.
- Universidade de São Paulo, Brazil (Bachelor of Laws, 1996).
- Fundação Getúlio Vargas, Brazil (Postgraduation in Business Administration, 1999).
- University of Virginia School of Law, VA, United States (Master in Laws – LL.M., 2000).
- Universidade de São Paulo, Brazil (Master Degree in Commercial Law, 2005).
- Dewey Ballantine LLP, Nova York, NY, United States (2000/2001).