Marcos Paulo Veríssimo
Marcos joined Machado Meyer in 1999 and left the firm to serve as a Director and Chief of Staff at the Brazilian Development Bank (2009-2011) and as a Commissioner at the Brazilian Antitrust Authority (2011-2013). In 2013, after leaving the Federal Administration, Marcos returned to the firm, and has been very active in complex merger cases, antitrust investigations, compliance matters, and telecom regulation, both advising and representing Brazilian and International clients in connection with such matters before courts and regulators. An important part of Marcos work also includes extensive counseling in M&A and transactional matters aiming at addressing potential antitrust and regulatory concerns and devising creative structures and alternatives to cope with the corresponding potential risks. Marcos has been particularly active over the past years in sectors such as Health Care, Telecommunications, Ports and Logistics, Aviation, Construction and Engineering, Retail, and Regulated Markets in general.
- Brazilian Bar Association (OAB);
- International Bar Association (IBA);
- American Bar Association (ABA);
- Commission on Competition Studies and Economic Regulation;
- Commission of Constitutional Law - OAB/SP.
- Recommended by LACCA Approved in Competition & Antitrust, editions 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022;
- Recommended by Who's Who Legal, 2020 and 2021 editions, in Competition;
- Recognized by the Leaders League, 2022 edition, in Competition and Antitrust: Merger Control;
- Recognized by Latin Lawyer 250, 2021 Edition, in the areas of Antitrust and Competition, Compliance and Anti-Corruption Investigations, and Project and Infrastructure Finance;
- Recognized by Chambers Brazil: Contentious, edition 2021, in the Competition/Antitrust area;
- Recommended by The Legal 500, 2021 edition, in Competition & Antitrust and Compliance;
- Ranked by Chambers Latin America 2017,2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021, in Competition/Antitrust;
- Ranked by Análise Advocacia, 2020 edition, as one of the most admired lawyers in São Paulo and in the areas of Compliance, Antitrust, Agriculture and Livestock, Automotive and Auto Parts, Electric Power, and Telecommunications;
- Recognized by the Leaders League, 2020 edition, in Compliance, Antitrust Investigations and Merger Control;
- Recognized by Latin Lawyer National, 2020 edition, in Anti-corruption investigations and compliance, Antitrust & Competition and Project Finance & Infrastructure;
- Recommended by The Legal 500, issue 2017, in Competition and Antitrust;
- Recommended by Latin American Corporate Counsel Association (2016).
- Faculdade de Direito da USP, Brazil (Bachelor of Laws, 1997);
- Faculdade de Direito da USP, Brazil (Master’s degree, 2002);
- Yale Law School, USA (Visiting Scholar, 2005);
- Faculdade de Direito da USP, Brazil (Doutorado em Direito, 2006).
- Tenured Professor of Public Law at the University of São Paulo Law School (FDUSP).