THE ANTI-CORRUPTION LAW WAS ONE OF THE MAIN FACTORS FOR THE MATURATION OF THE BUSINESS ENVIRONMENT IN BRAZIL, HELPING TO REINFORCE THE IMPORTANCE OF COMPLIANCE FOR COMPANIES AND THEIR CONFORMITY TO THE INTERNATIONAL STANDARDS IN FORCE.
Always attentive to legislative developments and market needs, our Compliance and Investigations area offers clients broad and effective advice on the most diverse topics in ethics and business integrity, especially those related to Brazilian legislation to prevent and combat corruption.
Acting in a fully integrated manner with other practices of the firm (especially the areas of criminal law, business, competition, public law, and labor law), our team is prepared to combine experiences and develop integrated actions in support of companies in different fields, such as:
- Advice on internal and government investigations
- Crisis management
- Consulting on integrity issues and anti-corruption legislation
- Advice to buyers and sellers in due diligence carried out in M&Aand financing transactions
- Review and adaptation of internal compliance standards
- Design, development, and implementation of integrity programs
- Training on compliance standards and integrity practices
Our team has extensive experience in these topics and includes professionals with international experience and experience in the public sector, as well as expertise in the following fields:
ANTI-CORRUPTION AND GOVERNMENT INVESTIGATIONS
We advise companies from various segments in advisory matters and ongoing investigations conducted by the most varied of Brazilian authorities (CGU, CVM, Bacen, Cade, Public Prosecutor's Office, etc.). We also support foreign partners in assessing the Brazilian impacts of investigations conducted by foreign authorities, helping them understand the risks involved and develop response strategies and address these threats.
Our services include:
- Advice on the anti-corruption legislative framework
- Representation and defense of clients before the Brazilian authorities in administrative proceedings
- Evaluation and negotiation of leniency agreements
- Advice on complex foreign exchange transactions
- Risk analysis generated by potential investigations initiated by government authorities, including advice on possible alternatives to address these situations
INTERNAL INVESTIGATIONS AND CRISIS MANAGEMENT
In addition to advising our clients on ongoing investigations before public authorities, we have extensive experience in planning and conducting independent corporate investigations involving integrity violations. We also advise foreign partners in conducting the Brazilian stages of internal investigations initiated in foreign jurisdictions.
With our practice in this field, we help our clients detect possible violations of internal compliance and/or legislation and organize an appropriate reaction to such events, ensuring the reliability, quality, legality, and confidentiality of the process.
With our role in crisis management, we support our clients in preparing and responding to crises not only related to fraud and corruption risks, but also to other risks involving infractions of any kind, such as environmental, labor, and data privacy. We work in an integrated and coordinated manner with other areas of the firm to provide an effective and appropriate action plan and combat the crisis depending on the business and market sector.
GOVERNANCE CONSULTING, RISKS, AND COMPLIANCE (GRC)
Also in the advisory field, we help our clients take general actions for prevention, detection, and response, developing compliance aligned with national and international best practices, and with criteria adopted by various Brazilian and foreign authorities.
Our performance is marked by a comprehensive and results-focused approach. We offer integrated solutions that also include advising multinationals interested in adapting their global integrity programs to Brazilian reality, culture, and legislation, or even testing in a local environment the degree of suitability of these global integrity programs.
Our GRC services include the following activities:
- Develop, review, and implement compliance.
- Map risks related to corruption, bribery, fraud, cartel, and money laundering, among other irregularities.
- Develop strategies and procedures for risk management.
- Train employees and third parties.
- Develop best practices in risk management and corporate governance.
- Audit contracts and suppliers and prepare opinions to assess the risks of such contracts.
DUE DILIGENCE AND ADVICE ON M&A PROJECTS AND FINANCING
The adoption of strict anti-corruption legislation, as well as related investigations and proceedings, exposed companies, and equity and debt in Brazil to new risks that need to be carefully evaluated and addressed. There is a growing need to be aware of the practices and internal controls of invested companies and map potential risks to verify compliance with current legislation and the best market standards, in addition to understanding what the long-term impact of these risks will be.
To assist our clients in this task, we conduct audit processes and due diligence focused specifically on the existence and good order of compliance adopted by invested companies, also investigating the possible existence of violations of anti-corruption legislation that may affect the good order of the transaction and/or generate liabitilies for successor companies or investors.
In this process, we act in a creative and multidisciplinary way, not only pointing out risks, but, above all, offering intelligent and business-oriented solutions to handle them or mitigate them. Our track record in such operations includes advising clients in various segments and countries, encompassing various regulated and infrastructure sectors.